OgreCave

Because you weren’t confused enough: WotC modifies the D&D 4 license deal

April 17th, 2008: Mike Sugarbaker says...
Because you weren’t confused enough: WotC modifies the D&D 4 license deal

Announcement. The upshot as far as I can tell is that the SRD will now be free, to someone anyway, and the go date for publishing 4E GSL-licensed material will be October, not January 2009 or whatever it was. That is, the associated SRD will be free for download on 6/6, and a few hand-picked folks are getting it early. And guess what: something called a D20 license (in this case, a D20 GSL) will be coming back, for the benefit of third parties who’d like to do non-fantasy material. Still no word, from what I can tell, on what either GSL’s terms actually are.

6 Comments »

6 comments

1. James S. says:

Y’know at the rate this stuff keeps changing I’m finding Paizo’s Pathfinder more and more appealing daily.

2. pduggie says:

“non-fantasy”. Can’t wait to see how that gets enforced.

3. Lee Valentine says:

Wow, they are going to make publishers pick the OGL or the GSL. If you publish a product under one you can’t publish the product under the other:

It may be even more restrictive than a product-by-product basis, it may be a publisher-by-publisher basis as to choose the GSL or the OGL, but that was unconfirmed by WotC.

Lee

4. Starhawk says:

“I am altering the deal. Pray I don’t alter it any further.”

5. Dai Oni says:

“non-fantasy”. Can’t wait to see how that gets enforced.pduggie

Hopefully with a new edition of d20 Modern? Otherwise it’s going to be like before, everyone have their own ideas of meta-gaming non-fantasy elements (e.g., automatic weapon fire, nuclear blast, etc.).

6. misuba says:

(That’s it, now I’m convinced; the term “meta-gaming” has no meaning.)