I'm aware that there are many rumors circulating about the reasons why
is still no signed contract between the Camarilla and White Wolf. I'm
everyone knows there are issues that have been holding up the contract.
going to outline where some of those problems lie, from our perspective.
points are based on the contract White Wolf currently wants us to sign.
that what I'm posting below are basically our non-negotiable issues at
time. There are several other issues we're not completely happy about,
then you're never going to be completely happy with a contract. That's
compromise is about.
I feel I should note that the current contract (given to us in 2001) is
identical to the one given to Heidi and Steve in 1998. None of the
or redlines noted by Heidi or Steve, and nearly none offered by myself,
been included in the revisions. One issue has been added by White Wolf
below). I feel I should also note that, in general, White Wolf often
weeks or months to respond to us. These two things have been a
contribution to the delays.
1) Membership list - they want ownership. If we give them the list,
do not need this organization. If we give them the list, then we have
to bargain with/from. They want commercial rights and are willing to give
non-commercial rights for as long as the organization is working. This is
unacceptable. Either way, whether they have the list or not, if we sign
contract and they cancel if (either chose to not renew it, or find us in
of contract - see below) they own the list and the organization is shut
We have offered to send out flyers and such to the membership for
They have not responded to this as yet.
They want us to give them regular updates with contact information.
are currently trying to get them to agree that we can screen the members,
them to tell us whether or not they want their information released. So
White Wolf has not accepted our compromise. They have noted that it is
policy to not sell membership lists, but we would like that in the
as well. The internationals would not be affected by this, as the
privacy laws would supercede this contract. The USA does not currently
any such laws in place.
2) Approving Board members (this is the added issue) - they want
approval on Board member selections. Best case, nothing changes and they
give their nod to anyone we present. Worst case, this means White Wolf
who's on the Board, because they simply veto everyone we put forward until
get the person they want. Their statement is that they need to have the
that they can trust the Board with their product, and claim that this type
approval is standard for their contracts with fan clubs. I'm unaware of
other contracts with fan clubs that they may hold or have held, and I must
that this clause was added between our May 2000 redlines and the 2001
we were given, with no explanation or hint that it was coming. Another
was a concern about the frequent movement of Board members on and off the
in particular the office of President. This is a volunteer organization,
a two-year stint is actually a good period of time to have someone in this
of position. With respect to the President, who would be signing this
Heidi was in office for 5 years and Steve for 2, and White Wolf did not
Steve was stepping down when they added this clause. We have offered to
the White Wolf Liaison give input to the candidates for Board positions,
they have not accepted this to date. They have compromised down to the
EVP, VP Finance, and VP Information (those positions are named in our
documents). This is still unacceptable to us.
Top this one off with the fact that it's not legal for an NPO
in Utah to give this authority (Board member approval) to a third party.
can get around that by going to a full membership vote to approve a policy
gives that right to a third party (in this case, White Wolf). I have made
aware of this, and I have even stated I will go to the membership with
vote. They have not responded to this, and it has been 5 months since
issue was brought to their attention.
They have stated that they feel we should not be a registered NPO.
Board has discussed this, and we feel that this is unacceptable. Besides
financial and legal considerations of a move like that, this organization
grown strongly in the aspect of charitable activities, at least within the
and we feel it is an integral part to what the membership wants. To let
go and become a for-profit entity is unacceptable to us.
3) Language - the language in the contract is relatively
By this, I mean there are statements and clauses that would leave us in
of contract almost immediately. For example, it would require us to have
chapter report every month (I trust everyone realizes this is going to be
for us to enforce), or require us to produce the *highest* quality
(you will always find something of a 'higher' quality). We have attempted
change the wording to allow us to police our own officers as we do
or to confirm the production of *high* quality products, and have that
in the contract. They have not accepted any of those compromises to date,
The Board has consulted a lawyer on the contract (our lawyer drafted a
of the contract based on the White Wolf contract he was given, with
to shift much of the liability away from the Camarilla, it was denied in
and on our legal documents and organizational structure. We've talked to
lawyer about our current situation with White Wolf. We are standing on
solid ground and could continue to operate even if we did not sign a
with White Wolf. We would lose the "Official Fan Club" title and would
lose the relationship we have with respect rules and such (we do a fair
of play-testing and consulting for them at this time, and some of the
changes of late have come out of our suggestions), but at this time little
would change with the way the organization is run. We can still use the
supplement (White Wolf encourages 'House Rules'), though the method of
may have to change. We own the name The Camarilla as well.
We have also consulted the national affiliates and gotten their feedback
the issue. They are in agreement that, at the moment, this contract is
All have indicated that they would remain as affiliate nations, and those
are working toward affiliation have indicated they would remain as well.
We do not want to go out of this without signing, as we really do feel
an agreement between this organization and White Wolf would be to the
of all. We have but to look back at what we have accomplished to prove
However, we also do not want to give this organization to White Wolf
stock, and barrel. We feel this organization was created by the members,
their volunteer efforts, and that to give up what White Wolf is asking for
compromise it completely. The Board is open to negotiation with White
with respects to this contract, but some things have to change before we
If you would like to give feedback into this issue, please give your
to your coordinators to pass up in their reports. It will be a more
use of time if we have your questions grouped, so that we can address them
batches as opposed one at a time and end up repeating ourselves.
Shea Porr, 9509-075
The Camarilla (r)